Skip to main content

Dore Whittier Report

People keep referencing the Dore & Whittier Presentation...

What is it?  

A presentation/report given to the School Committee in 2012 by the Dore & Whittier Architectural firm.   

What did it seek to do?  

  • Solve the (former) Kennedy aging building problem and the pending (2015) Wilson/Kennedy enrollment imbalance. 
  • Consider a decision about the two oldest elementary spaces - Johnson and Memorial.


Options suggested for Memorial and Johnson (page 43)...


In this 2012 presentation, the ADA concerns were:

  • Johnson -  "no ADA accessible path from the School building to the play areas"
  • Memorial - "barriers to Handicap accessibility."
  • In the capital plan, Johnson is mentioned for needing accessibility and coding. 
ADA concerns were there in 2012 just as they are today. While we absolutely need to address this, I disagree with any process that is truncated because 10 years ago we did not take the time to figure it out. The only way forward is forward but let's do it in a careful way.

What about Enrollment predictions in 2012?  

MSBA does a 3 year prediction and thus this range was created from 2012-2015: 

Our enrollment numbers look different now (see below). 

Key, in 2012, to the elementary scenarios was the eventual enrollment at Kennedy & Wilson - NPS was hoping to achieve a balance eventually! ... At our last School Committee meeting on 10/15, we heard from the middle school principles that the balance has worked.


Here is the enrollment tool that Dr. Nolin put in her materials to indicate where students will eventually end up and how the schools will balance.  

A question I need answered: How will the redistricting of 1/3 of Johnson students to Lilja, maintain the desired balance to Kennedy and Wilson?

When I ask specifics like this, I receive answers like - the administration cannot put forth a plan without knowing the direction the committee wants to go in regarding these space needs.  Seems like a chicken and an egg problem to me - b/c with out knowing the plan of how this will impact the middle schools and the school capacities of the remaining 4 elementary schools, I do not have enough information to support any decision.

What did NPS decide to do upon receiving this report?  

  • Build a new Kennedy  
  • Short term do the "do nothing option" for Johnson and Memorial    Page 5 lists the renovations (I'm assuming minor) that were new to each of the schools.
  • Eventually discuss rebuilds and renovation options in earnest. (That brings us up to today.)
In 2012 - there were several options given - Here are a few that I have not heard discussed in earnest in 2021 nor do I believe we will have the time to discuss if we are being pushed to make this vote by November 15th or December... 

Option 2B - Rebuild Johnson at the current space: 



Option 2E, Expand Johnson school and rebuild on a different site:
Option 4B, combine Memorial and Johnson Together: 
Finally, here are the cost breakdowns in 2012 $s.  


My point:  As a district and as a town, we have options and I truly hope that we will have a process that will allow us to understand those options in full. 


Popular posts from this blog

Statement on Recusal

Here are the remarks I gave last night when letting my committee know my decision to recuse:  After the School Committee meeting on October 15th, several individuals wrote into the SpeakUp Natick portal requesting that I recuse myself from voting on the possible closure of Johnson.  The substance of these messages, sent to the full committee, carried a familiar refrain. The messages - often using the same language – said some version of the following:  Catherine Brunell should recuse herself from deliberating and voting on the closure of Johnson because she lacks objectivity, as her children go to school there and she is from that neighborhood. I asked myself the question if there was any merit to the request for me to recuse myself and started to do some research about why people recuse  From what I can tell from the minutes, in Natick, It’s never happened before - not with the Kennedy, Wilson or the High School - not even for members whose children were to attend the future rebuilt s

Community Forums Change

Date change ... Community Forum from tonight, Monday October 25th to next week, Monday, November 1st. (explained below.)  What is all the hub bub? Space needs at the High School Pre-school programs movement Future of Johnson Elementary Long term planning for Memorial Elementary renovations/rebuild If I haven't read anything or need information what should I read?    Taken From the Natick Engage email this week:   I (Dr. Nolin) advise reading the in depth report on  Facilities, Space and Capital Planning , or, if you have less time, this  Executive Summary . Discussions will occur on 10/18, 11/1, 11/15 at a minimum. ***** Quick links to items that you can find in the above documents:  Link to FACILITIES DEPARTMENT STEWARDSHIP REPORT  presented to School Committee on 10/18. Chart Overviewing the Findings/Analysis of the TA’s Advisory Committee (Spring 2021)   (of which I was a part this summer)  Town of Natick Space Report (2012) (Dorr and Whittier) ***** Links to Videos on Pegasus

In other news... (With correction about the Special Election)

 If you voted yesterday in the State primaries... you might have been surprised like me - I thought I would also be casting a vote for the Natick Select Board seat that sits open...  But, because of laws beyond anyone's control - Natick has to hold another election next week for an uncontested race on Tuesday September 13th.  Voting information here. I'm told that years ago Natick had to hold PRIMARIES because there were often so many people who wanted to run in the elections.  Sigh. I'm always grateful to anyone who will run and am happy to cast a vote next Tuesday - but I'd like to hope we have some contested races in March.  Correction: After publishing the blog, thanks to my readers, I learned that the above is incorrect:   The Select Board, by town charter,  can have a vacancy until the next election (March 2023), they may call for a special election themselves or be required to call for a special election if 200 people sign a petition calling for one.  The speci