Skip to main content

Dialogue and Outcome - thoughts on critical race theory, Diversity, Equity an Inclusion in 01760

 Critical Race Theory (CRT) and how it applies to k-12 schools in Massachusetts promises to be a topic that School Committees will hear about in the coming year. 

I’d like to take a moment to give it some attention here and to invite any of you reading this blog to communicate with me about CRT, Equity Education and all things that involve Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.  As you know, I am on the Policy sub-committee with members Dr. Mackenzie, Ms. Collins and Superintendent, Dr. Nolin. Our meetings were cancelled this summer but our work continues as individuals because in the coming year we will suggest policies to the full committee that will better reflect the values of our school district around race, diversity, equity and inclusion. Those policies will be better if our community is involved so please be in touch!  cbrunell@natickps.org 

Additionally, Massachusetts School Committee Association put out this cheat sheet on CRT and Equity Education and has invited School Committee members to learn more.   

As someone who taught in schools that were majority non-white, issues of race and education were central to my formation as an educator. Now, living in Natick, I often wonder about the experiences my kids (and all of our kids – those who are white and those who are from the racially and ethnic minority groups) are having. How does it compare to the students’ experiences that I taught in Chicago and Boston? How has the experience nationally and locally changed or stayed the same in past decade? Where is the opportunity and where is our responsibility, as a district, as a committee and as a community? 

Can we have these conversations – sometimes healing and uncomfortable and hopefully always dynamic – and can we respect each other even where we might disagree? 

During the Superintendent Evaluation meetings last week (eval document still in draft form – and will be presented at the end of July and voted on in August) our committee was able to reflect on some very concrete actions our district took this year, for example the training of administrators around hiring practices to increase racially diverse candidate pools, all staff professional development that was run on defining and giving tools around preventing microaggressions in a school, and a draft of a culturally sensitive homework calendar.  

I also regularly look to other districts to see where they are thriving. This is not to say that any of the below examples are cookie cutter perfect for Natick. They are, however, examples of communities who have taken the time, resources and lots of courage to think about how they define the concepts, how to set measurable goals using them and what the definitions and goals are leading the districts in the coming years. If you click on the links below, you will see work that was completed after 100’s of hours of meetings of committees and working groups that involved all walks of life in these communities.  I share it because as the heat gets turned up on things like CRT, I truly hope Natick can be a place of dialogue and outcomes.

Dover- Sherborn

Acton -Boxboro

Framingham

I’m grateful to be part of the conversation as a school committee member, grateful for those who have been working on it in our schools and community for decades and hopeful for what is to come because it’s a journey for sure! Thanks, always, for reading and communicating with me.

Coming next… thoughts on my first few months as a School Committee Member ….

Popular posts from this blog

Statement on Recusal

Here are the remarks I gave last night when letting my committee know my decision to recuse:  After the School Committee meeting on October 15th, several individuals wrote into the SpeakUp Natick portal requesting that I recuse myself from voting on the possible closure of Johnson.  The substance of these messages, sent to the full committee, carried a familiar refrain. The messages - often using the same language – said some version of the following:  Catherine Brunell should recuse herself from deliberating and voting on the closure of Johnson because she lacks objectivity, as her children go to school there and she is from that neighborhood. I asked myself the question if there was any merit to the request for me to recuse myself and started to do some research about why people recuse  From what I can tell from the minutes, in Natick, It’s never happened before - not with the Kennedy, Wilson or the High School - not even for members whose children were to attend the future rebuilt s

Community Forums Change

Date change ... Community Forum from tonight, Monday October 25th to next week, Monday, November 1st. (explained below.)  What is all the hub bub? Space needs at the High School Pre-school programs movement Future of Johnson Elementary Long term planning for Memorial Elementary renovations/rebuild If I haven't read anything or need information what should I read?    Taken From the Natick Engage email this week:   I (Dr. Nolin) advise reading the in depth report on  Facilities, Space and Capital Planning , or, if you have less time, this  Executive Summary . Discussions will occur on 10/18, 11/1, 11/15 at a minimum. ***** Quick links to items that you can find in the above documents:  Link to FACILITIES DEPARTMENT STEWARDSHIP REPORT  presented to School Committee on 10/18. Chart Overviewing the Findings/Analysis of the TA’s Advisory Committee (Spring 2021)   (of which I was a part this summer)  Town of Natick Space Report (2012) (Dorr and Whittier) ***** Links to Videos on Pegasus

In other news... (With correction about the Special Election)

 If you voted yesterday in the State primaries... you might have been surprised like me - I thought I would also be casting a vote for the Natick Select Board seat that sits open...  But, because of laws beyond anyone's control - Natick has to hold another election next week for an uncontested race on Tuesday September 13th.  Voting information here. I'm told that years ago Natick had to hold PRIMARIES because there were often so many people who wanted to run in the elections.  Sigh. I'm always grateful to anyone who will run and am happy to cast a vote next Tuesday - but I'd like to hope we have some contested races in March.  Correction: After publishing the blog, thanks to my readers, I learned that the above is incorrect:   The Select Board, by town charter,  can have a vacancy until the next election (March 2023), they may call for a special election themselves or be required to call for a special election if 200 people sign a petition calling for one.  The speci